Home' The Canberra Times : Chronicle 27.9 Contents THE CHRONICLE, Tuesday, September 27 2011 - 8
MORE SPECIALS IN STORE
FILLETS 11.9 9 KG
Family pets poisoned
Dogs may have ingested 1080
THERE are fears of illegal use of
1080 in Weston after three dogs
have had to be rushed to the vets
after ingesting poison.
The Martin family's two dogs
Kira and Oscar became horribly ill
last Thursday evening after they
briefly escaped from the back yard
of the house. This was followed by
a neighbour's dog becoming sick
after being let to run off-leash in a
reserve on Friday morning.
The fast acting nature of the
poison and the effect it had on the
dogs has led to the suspected use of
1080 poison, which has restricted
use in the ACT.
Kira and Oscar's owner Susan
Martin said it was concerning the
poisoning had happened in a sub-
urban area where most families had
dogs as pets.
She said she was making dinner
on Thursday when her children saw
the dogs running off up the drive-
''We chased them and got them
back in about 10 minutes, however
about 20 minutes later Kira started
to have tremors, which got pro-
gressively worse,'' she said. ''I
rushed her off to the emergency vet
and she had to be put in a medically
induced coma to stop her from
During this time, the family's
other dog, Oscar, started displaying
the same symptoms. Luckily, Ms
Martin's neighbour Charlotte Allen
went to check on the dog and
managed to get it to the vet as well.
Ms Martin said though Kira was
now well enough to be home, she
was suffering after-effects from the
poison. Oscar has made a full
''Kira is not the same and
probably will never be the same
again,'' she said.
''It was really hard -- we were
asked whether or not to try to save
both of them as the prognosis was
Ms Martin said the vet was of the
opinion the poison used was 1080.
''We have had some foxes
around the area, so maybe some-
body was trying to get rid of them,
but it is worrying that it has
happened in a suburban area like
this,'' Ms Martin said.
She said she wanted dog-owners
to take extra care with their pets
because of the incidents around the
Territory and Municipal Services
vertebrate pests co-ordinator Nicola
Webb said 1080 was a restricted
chemical and currently only staff
within TAMS issue the poison. It is
used in rural areas of the ACT to
deal with fox problems.
''It is a great concern that
someone may have used 1080
poison illegally within the
suburbs,'' she said.
Ms Webb said 1080 was not used
in the suburbs or suburban reserves
due to the risk of accidental lethal
poisoning of dogs and cats.
''Foxes have a habit of picking
up baits and storing them some-
where else to eat later on, which
could result in baits becoming
available to pets if 1080 poison was
permitted near suburbs,'' she said.
Ms Webb said for householders,
the best long-term solution to deter
foxes was to thoroughly fox-proof
their chicken run, keep compost in
enclosed bins, and ensure cat and
dog food is not left out.
Strong committee to
push Woden's agenda
THE Annual General Meeting
of the Woden Valley Com-
munity Council will be held on
Wednesday, October 5 at
7.30pm in the Orpheus Room in
the Hellenic Club in Woden.
The Annual General Meeting
will elect a new committee for
2011-12. The council needs a
strong committee to pursue the
interests of Woden residents,
and especially in the lead-up to
the ACT Elections in October
2012. The council therefore
encourages those interested to
consider nominating for office
or to be a committee member.
For further information,
please contact council by email
firstname.lastname@example.org or call
0420 529 747.
Before the AGM, architect
David Pfaff will present new
proposals for the Mandir Ash-
ram Residential Aged Care
Facility in Beasley Street in
Farrer. Mandir Ashram already
has approval for a 60-bed resi-
dential facility in addition to 78
independent living units. How-
ever an earlier development
application to increase the resi-
dential facility to 106 beds was
refused by the ACT Planning
and Land Authority, largely due
to the bulk and scale of the
development and the reduction
in communal open space with
access to adequate solar access.
All are most welcome to
attend the meeting.
Please note in your diary that
the Woden Valley Festival, ho-
sted by the Woden Community
Service and the council, will be
held on Saturday, November 6
in Eddison Park. More infor-
mation on the festival can be
found at www.wodenvalley
Maeve and Dylan Martin with their dogs Oscar and Kira who nearly died after ingesting poison.
Picture: Elesa Lee
Links Archive Chronicle 20.9 Chronicle 4.10 Navigation Previous Page Next Page